Thursday, July 21, 2011

All the Single Ladies....er.....Parents

I've developed a major appreciation for single parents.  Pickles and I have been on our own for a just over a week now, and it ain't easy.  When she gets stuck on her tummy at night, I have to go and roll her back over (this is a new thing).  If I get thirsty while nursing, too bad for me.  If I have a naked baby on the change table, and I realise that all the diapers are in the dryer, I have to carry her downstairs and risk getting peed on.  When she wakes up every single hour at night, I have to be the one to go in every time. I even have to take the garbage out.

But there is obviously more than just the practical.  A partner is much more than a centipede-killer (I've already had to kill two since we've been alone!).   I am very lucky to have an amazing support system, but nothing compares to the support you get from a partner.

At least there is an end in sight.  I really admire people who do it on their own every day, all days.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I also have to say you are tough for putting her back to bed if she's up every hour! Brooklyn was doing that and then I was so exhausted I just brought her into bed with me to nurse and that was the end of that!!! Not for everyone though. Either way, not easy alone at all!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is definitely not easy, but we only have one more sleep!
    she's been getting up every 2 hours to nurse almost every night in the past 2 weeks, so i think it must be her 6 month growth spurt. hopefully that's almost done, too!

    ReplyDelete